Sunday, September 4, 2011

Silent, But for Me


Silent,
But for me

Books
Stacked high
Books
Set askew
Books
All silent

Boxes
Piled high
Boxes
Hiding treasures
Boxes
All silent

Files
Scattered wide
Files
In crates
Files
All silent

Pencils
Standing sharpened
Pencils
Piled dull
Pencils
All silent

Posters
Stapled up
Posters
Sharing hints
Posters
All silent

Desks
In pairs
Desks
Are waiting
Desks
All silent

Flag
Hangs unruffled
Flag
Watches over
Flag
Is silent

Air
Sits still
Air
Warm, stuffy
Air
Is silent

Silent,
But for me


Ken Goree 


I'm sitting in my classroom, contemplating a new school year.  While trying to get my room ready for children who won't be here for another eight days.  Some of the faces that come through the door will be familiar to me.  I've seen them around the building.  Some will walk in with fear in their eyes; they'll soon feel at home, comfortable, safe.  Some will come in angry, defensive, noisy; they'll soon feel at home, comfortable, safe.  Some will come in feeling at home, comfortable and safe.  I'll help them stay that way.

But right now, I have to make the room presentable; have to get ready for the ones who matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment