Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The Last Act

Thank you
Sweet
Angel

When need
Was
Present

My Son
Damaged
In
The
Road

Rain Slicked
Night
Shining
On
Wet
Pavement

Twisted metal
Two
Cars
Become
One

Thank you
Sweet
Angel

One man
Stopping
To
Guide
others
Clear

Last act
Watching
over
My
Son

Protecting life
Caring
Generous
Soul

Passing on
In
Final
Last
Act
Of
Love

Thank you
Sweet
Angel

Take thanks
On
Your
Last
Journey


Ken Goree


Tonight, my son was in the first accident of his life.  Two cars twisted together so that one could not be distinguished the other.  He and his friends, and the lady in the other car were not hurt seriously, but arriving on the scene it was hard to believe.  The silver Toyota was sitting on the hood of my son’s car, tipped on its side so that the drive train was resting on the windshield of my son’s convertible.  They were in the middle lane of the freeway, rain dripping down, the lights of five police cars and to medic vehicles flashing needles of light into my eyes.  As I approached the scene,  I could see medics feverishly giving CPR to someone in the back of the medic ambulance.  My son’s life flashed before my eyes. 

It turned out not to be anyone involved in my son’s accident, but a good Samaritan who had pulled over after seeing the accident.  His concern for the safety of the accident victims led him to pull over and guide traffic around the twisted vehicles and their occupants.  In the midst of his care, concern and love for his fellow human beings.  God decided it was time to call him home.  My hero collapsed on the side of the road.  Despite the efforts of the aid crew which showed up just as he collapsed, he passed on into the night. 

I felt I needed to thank him for watching over my son until I arrived.  I hope his family and loved ones know about his heroic, last act.

No comments:

Post a Comment