Friday, June 17, 2011

Parting

For all the days
Together
I’ve become
More
Taking in
All you give
All you take
All you are
And I am changed


Ken Goree


This is a poem for my class.  Every year, I mourn the loss of my students, my kids.  I feel blessed for every minute we have shared.  I get goose bumps over and over; when a parent told me her son said he was sad that the school year was ending; when I think of the timid girl who came to my class nervous to try because the others might think she wasn’t good enough, but now speaks out and almost as wonderful, brings me flowers; when the boy who came into my class writing illegibly, without punctuation, horrid spelling and unbelievable reversals responded to my question, ”What are you go to tell your next year’s teacher is your best subject?” and he said, “I am really good writer.”  I had to do the, “Dang I got something in my eye” thing.  

2 comments: